Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecutn) also known as Greek hay, has been used to treat not only humans but also animals. Its seeds and leaves are used in food preparation as well as in medicine. Fenugreek seed is soluble fiber (called mucilage) which contains compounds that help regulate blood sugar. When fenugreek seeds are consumed, they swell in the gut and help relieve constipation.
Fanugreek also has estrogenic activity, this may increase breast size. One of the reasons why women often use fenugreek, especially those women in menopause is because its estrogenic properties help with vaginal dryness.
- Used as a natural treatment to aid blood sugar regulation in diabetes
- Increases milk production (improves lactation)
- Used for treating epilepsy
- Treats chronic cough
- Good for people with gout, paralysis
- Seeds stimulate digestive process (seeds are similar to psyllium)
- Lowers cholesterol levels
- Stimulate digestion
Fenugreek has immunostimulant, anti inflammatory effects.
Did you know: fenugreek seeds are believed to bring money into the house if added to the mop water.
Please note: some people might be allergic to the fenugreek herb.