Sage can be found in southern Europe and northern Africa. Salvia is derived from salvus, to be safe, or salveo to be in good health. The name sage, meaning wisdom refer to ancient believes that sage can strengthen the memory.
- In combination with other herbs, relieves menopausal symptoms such as night sweats
- Sage has antibacterial and anti-fungal activity
- Used for Alzheimer’s disease
- Improves memory
- Used to sooth the pain of sore throat tonsillitis
- Sage helps kill the bacteria that cause gingivitis
- Great for treating indigestion
Among many other herbs tested, sage showed to have the best antioxidant activity. Antioxidants isolated from sage are: carnosol, carosic acid, rosmanol, rosarinic acid. Other medicinal properties of sage: mild tonic, astringent, carminative.
Please note: there are some claims that sage has abortifacient properties. If pregnant, consult your doctor or avoid using sage.
Did you know: Sage is carried to promote wisdom and some believe when eating sage every day, a long life or even immortality can be ensured.