Astragalus (Astagalus membranaceus), also known as huang qi, is a beautiful herb used by the Chinese for invigorating vital energy and strengthening Qi. This herb can grow to about 30-60 cm tall and enjoys alkaline soil and sunny locations.
The English word for astragalus is milk vetch – often used as a tonic for younger people to strengthen their immune system, boost energy levels, and it is also used as a heart tonic to help prevent and treat arrhythmia.
Astragalus is also used as an immunostimulant medicine in common colds and influenza and to reduce fatigue. This herb contains essential oils, amino acids, flavonoids, and polysaccharides. In combination with other herbs, astragalus is used to reduce cholesterol levels, asthma, and memory defects.
- Improves cardiac function, and arrhythmia
- Decreases blood pressure
- Has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity
- Has anti-carcinogenic effects
- Has hepatoprotective qualities and increases liver glutathione levels
- Has adaptogenic activity
- Prevent and treats various viral infections
- Treat fatigue
- Stimulates digestion
- Stimulates the immune system
- Shortness of breath
- It clears abscesses and ulcers
Please note: astragalus should not be used during periods.